Skip to main content

road tripping

Im taking this blog on the road, not really, but I am typing this while on the turnpike heading to chitown to watch my oldest gal play in the windy city national qualifier. so for this volleyball road show the whole squad is in tow, so im sharing my top 5 volleyball tournament traveling tips.

link on up with september farm and the farmers wife but first, leave me a comment, especially if you are one of those volleyabll moms. I am one, we should start a support group, or a hastag, that is for another post though I suppose. either way leave me a comment so I know you stopped by.


1// ez pass - my friend kati says it best 'it is just so easy'. And you know what, she is so right, it is just is so easy. ours is obviously from the great state of OH-IO but it can be used everywhere. if you are not familiar with these, well im not sure where you have been, but I still think your great. basically you load up your ez pass and then cruise right through those toll booths and not have to wait in the line to pay your toll.

2// snacks - this is checklist number 1. my girl plays hard and I have no clue as to why, but none of these events offer a good choice for snacks/breakfast/lunch/dinner - and if you are familiar with club volleyball, again part of my club, you know you are there for all three meals. - so it is my mom duty, which was written in my contract when she was born, to provide healthy snacks and meals for her. I usually try to make these energy balls:
No-Bake Energy Bites 1 cup (dry) oatmeal 1/2 cup chocolate chips 1/2 cup peanut butter 1/2 cup ground flaxseed 1/3 cup honey 1 tsp. vanilla:
but we have the usual with us:
  • cuties
  • turkey sandwich
  • pretzels
  • apples
  • trail mix
  • goldfish
  • dried fruit
  • water - lots of water, those big middles need to hydrate
and also in addition to my little rant about how the good choices at these events are limited, how about the ones that do not allow you to bring in food, to force you to purchase the junk food junkie menu items, annoying! players/families invest quite a bit of money to play at every level so don’t make me smuggle my food in like a hoarder, I am not asking to roll in a cooler, but lets be reasonable and not frisk me at the door for bringing in my dried fruit. *end rant :)
3// chairs/old person chair/blankets - you really have to be prepared with this one. there are so many different tournament set ups you just never know what the seating is going to be all about it. I made the commitment into the old persons club a few years ago, made that purchase of the item my grandma always brought to the game, but boy has it been a life saver. if bleachers are the only option this is a life saver.
chair
not only does it keep your butt off the freezing cold metal bleacher, but you can sit back and have some back support. I do know from experience that some not so friendly attendees do not always appreciate the chair, im pretty sure she was just crabby and jealous of my back support.
you can also use these pop up chairs, if there isnt bleachers or if there is and also floor space to set up camp. remember, you are in this to win this so you could be looking at a good 12-15 hours at this event, comfort is key.
which brings me to the blanket, this had multi uses. these events are usually in some type of convention center or converted warehouse, so installation and warmth is not included. I strongly suggest a blanket to throw over your legs, again I am old, old people get cold. also, club volleyball season is winter, winter in my parts = snow and cold. dress in layers.
the girls also use the blanket to set up 'camp'. camp is where the team sits throughout the day during their 'rest' sessions or breaks. aunt laura got my 2 volleyball girls this one for christmas this year, super cute.
blanket
4//   electronic devices & chargers - you need them, especially if you are bringing the younger squad along. I know, I know, limit screen time… whatever. tell me that after you spend the day with three additional offspring reminding you of how bored they are and have eaten all the said healthy snacks and gone through $50 for the 'snack bar'. do you remember the part about a 12-15 hour day? those people are done,
D-O-N-E done,
and the screen time is the only thing that will hush them at that point. we start the day out all, 'oh you brought your books, great, get your reading in.' and 'thank you for coloring me the beautiful picture.' or how about 'I love the 53rd braclet you loomed me.' in the end… just let them have the screen time.
now for myself, I can:
  • read on my ipad,
  • get lots of work done, remember I am a beachbody coach, I can work everywhere.
  • update this here blog
  • listen to personal development
  • Or just take a nap, dont judge, I have found myself a spot tucked away and have napped, I told you…it’s a long day and it starts early.
5// coloring book & pencils - ok this trick I learned this year and it has been a life saver thus far. Now this one may just pertain to me, sometimes I need something that calms me and this does the trick.

When things gets intense, matches are close, serves are going crazy, jumps are not up there to block and hits are going out or into the net, just focus on the coloring. Blending, fun patterns, coloring the same spot over and over, it happens. Just whispering positive affirmations in your head and trying to stay in the lines helps. I swear, im not crazy.
that's it! ready to link up? are you a volleyball traveling family too?
road trip


Comments